Monday, March 15, 2010

Going off Prozac

Sorry to everyone out there about the lack of updates...life has been so busy lately!

Talked to my Dr. today about getting off of prozac. He said a few months ago that once winter was over I could try it. Now that we've had a few weeks of nice days and the time has changed, I asked again and he said it's ok.

I've talked with my therapist about it too. Given my dedication to doing DBT and success with both that and traditional therapy, she feels it is safe. I've been on it for five years now. Now that I know that I don't have regular depression, and I am not currently in a depressive episode from BPD, I would like to try life without it (and without some of the side effects and hopefully lose some weight in the process!)

I am planning to use the juice method: since I am on 20 mg caplets right now, that means I'll dissolved the contents of the caplet in 10 oz of juice and gradually drink less of it, starting at 9 oz and working my way down. I'll do this for a month then switch to 10 mg caplets, and wean off those.

Has anyone out there weaned off Prozac before? My doctor warned me that it can be an arduous process. He said to be ready for the moodiness that comes from withdrawl, because most people experience this, and then to just be thankful if I don't!

I'm a bit nervous about it, but not too afraid. I know my therapist is there if things get bad. And I know I have friends I can turn too. In fact, I've told my therapist that I know my closest friends will say something if I get in bad shape...and if things get too bad I will go back on it if needed.

I hope, too, that those of you out there that read this, can hold me accountable as well, and if I seem to be getting into a low place, that you will call me on it and tell me to consider talking to my therapist!

Good luck to me...and all of us that struggle with mental illness - there is light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes only a pinprick of light, but it is there...

No comments:

Post a Comment