Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Sense of Hope

Was very heartened to get a comment on my last post from a reader who found my sense of hope "inspiring" and like to see my proactive approach to my condition. (thanks Stacy!) I worry sometimes - especially lately when I have been doing so well and am the closest to recovery that I've ever been - that people will find this blog to be saccharine and superficial. So it is good to hear that people in the world are finding some support and help in it.

When I started writing here in the fall of '09, I had just started my journey to recovery. I had just been diagnosed with BPD, although I has suspected it for a while and had displayed the symptoms for about 5 years. I'd been through so much before then, so much that I never shared anywhere, not even in my personal journals. The only record of those 5 hard years lies in my memory and a few small scars that never fully healed.

But when I started this blog, I was in a dark place again - I had limited functioning in the real world and barely left the house, let alone my bed. At my best times I was numbing my feelings with daily fast food binges and escaping reality with continually watching Grey's Anatomy DVDS; on my worst days I would take extra sleeping pills and a few shots of Vodka to lull myself into painless sleep.

I wanted to die, but knew I couldn't let that happen. The mental image of my family and friends at my funeral was frightening. So my only other option, if I wanted to survive (be it only to protect my loved ones from the pain of my death), was to fight.

So I did - I took that proactive approach; even though it seemed hopeless I did it anyway. I got evaluated and diagnosed. I started seeing my counselor regularly. Even though I had little faith that it would help, going to therapy and group sessions at the mental health center were comforting, they soothed me almost as much as eating or drinking. There were setback, such as the fact that the DBT group in my area was on hiatus. So I bought a DBT workbook and did DBT on my own with guidance from my therapist and discussions with others in group therapy. Often I had to push myself to do things I just didn't feel like doing, like simply leaving my room to go out into the real world. Going to therapy and group was taxing on days when I was simply exhausted, so I had to push myself. And each time I did, it got a little easier. My therapist always seemed so impressed with my ability to work so hard to recover. But she hadn't seen the years I'd spent not recovering. And besides, I didn't have a choice. It was fight or die.

Which brings me to today. I'm not recovered, but I'm better than I've been in years. I'm thinking clearly, making decisions, I'm less emotional and more level headed. I've learned how to deal with some of the major problems that have tripped me up and ruined my life in the past five years. More than that, I have actually written plans on how to deal with them - specific steps and strategies to followed when I feel lonely or scared or someone hurt me.

So overall I welcome the sense of hope that I have now. It's been hard-earned and long awaited. And for years I didn't think it was possible to feel this way. But I know now that was one of the lies that BPD tells you. I know now that there is hope.

1 comment:

  1. Your story sounds a lot like mine...
    I have been dealing with BPD symptoms for several years as well, but was only official diagnosed with it about 6 months ago. After 3 hospitalizations, trying a bunch of meds that didn't work, and going through therapist after therapist... I'm finally on a good path. I'm on the right combination of meds and I have an excellent therapist. When I started my blog a couple months ago, I was also in a dark place - I found that writing every day in my blog was the one thing that got the ball rolling for me. I'm still up and down, I still have bad days, but in general I'm on the upward climb. I used to be where you were - didn't want to get out of bed, binged in front of the tv all day, isolated myself, etc. I would also overdose and self-harm. I still have days like that, but they are becoming less and less. I have to push myself every day to do things, but hopefully it will get easier.
    I am also learning better coping skills and how to deal with the constant whirl of emotions that bombard me. I've also been able to set some goals and make plans. I think I've come really far in just a short amount of time. I know I have a ways to go, but I feel like I'm actually going to do it this time.
    Anyways, it sounds like we're kind of in the same place right now - on a good path towards full health and recovery... we have HOPE now.
    Keep writing!! It's so therapeutic. And feel free to check out my blog as well :) It's kind of random, as my mood changes from one day to the next, but hopefully you'll find it worth the read.
    Take care :)
    Edde
    http://fallforward.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete